Twitter icon
Facebook icon
RSS icon
YouTube icon


UC-AFT saves summer retirement benefits for lecturers on some campuses!

We are pleased to announce that our Union has stopped UCOP's plan to strip retirement benefits from Summer Session salaries!

We have reached a negotiated agreement with the UC administration about Summer Session retirement benefits for those who teach at Berkeley, Irvine, Los Angeles, and Santa Barbara. Those campuses have agreed to continue contributing 3.5% of Summer Session salary to the Defined Contribution Retirement accounts of Lecturers who have full benefits and teach Summer Session.

Special lump sum payment for eligible lecturers

Dear Lecturers,

I’m writing about a special payment our Union has negotiated for eligible lecturers. During the last contract, UC-AFT negotiated a provision that provides a special lump sum payment to many people who don’t get to participate in the University of California Retirement Plan.  On July 1, UC should have made those lump sum payments to lecturers who:

End-of-term survey for lecturers--please take!

Dear UCD Lecturers,

As the semester has ended, please take a moment to reflect and help provide feedback to our union!  Below is a link to our end-of-the-term survey.  Our union needs important information from you and your colleagues to coordinate with UCD in a number of situations.  If you plan to return, if you have another job elsewhere, if you'd like to teach again but haven't heard yet: we want to know!

Thanks in advance for filling out the survey!

Tarone Bittner
UC-AFT Field Rep

TAPS' denial of year-long parking permits resolved!

Dear Members,

TAPS, the University office in charge of parking, was recently refusing to sell our members year-long parking permits.  The union objected, and the administration has now agreed that this policy was wrong and has rescinded it.  You can now purchase a year-long parking permit at the TAPS office.  Furthermore, if you were denied a year long permit and purchased a one-month permit, you can have that purchase put toward a year-long permit.  All you need to do is go into the TAPS office to make the exchange. 

Unemployment/EDD Information

This mostly applies to unemployment eligibility for the summer for pre-6 (non-Continuing) Lecturers who work during the academic year (Service period of three quarters, or two semesters), but get paid over 12 months because of Article 6 requirements. Continuing lecturers who work, say one semester, might be eligible under regular EDD rules.